Maasdam, 10-30-04, N0 A/c

jmvt

Those of us in the suites surrounding the Neptune Lounge that suffered through no a/c on this cruise are now beginning to get replies from HAL. Two of the suites have been offered paltry "shipboard credits" on future cruises. The amounts were different to each cabin and in my opinion a pittance. They force you to cruise again with them in order to get any sort of compensation. Did they ever think perhaps none of us would want to cruise on them again? We did not receive what we paid for----a premium suite with the basic level of comfort. When you have to lie in bed with wet washcloths and towels covereing you to try and stay cool, that is pretty pathetic. We personally have had no word yet from HAL.

Unless you lived through those sweltering 10 days, you have no idea how hot those cabins were. My sound soother with thermometer showed 86 degrees by day 8----no air moving whatsoever out of the vents. I know there will be comments about turning "lemons into lemonade" but there was not enough sugar in the world to fix this misery. Most disappointing is the lack of acknowledgement we got---none. For 10 solid days I asked and wrote to the Hotel Manager, Chief Engineer, and the Captain. Not one returned phone call or letter.

We have asked specifically for a partial refund, not a voucher or a shipboard credit. Time will tell.

I am really sorry to hear of your experience:( .

I do hope that HAL recognizes that a lack of a/c on a Caribbean itinerary would make the cruise unacceptable. I would suggest you write to HAL's home office in Seattle with a certified receipt letter addressed to Mr. Kruse CEO of HAL, and Mr. Lanterman, Chairman of HAL as well.

Good luck!

Mary,

I hope that HAL reads these boards as some claim they do. I also hope they not only realize the bad PR they are receiving, but actually do something to improve the entire situation; from the mechanical problems on the ship to their customer service, both on the ship and at their home office.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the range of shipboard credits offered. Also, are these shipboard credits that would only go towards reducing your shipboard balance, as opposed to a reduction of fare on another cruise? If that's the case then you'd have to pay your regular fare on another cruise in order to receive any compensation for an intolerable situation that was totally HAL's responsibility.

I was also be irate.

IMO...

The internet and these sort of Message Boards have made a different situation for Seattle to deal with. In the past, they could settle with each 'complainant' individually and the odds were strong that few if any knew what anyone else was offered.

In these days of communication, that is no longer the case. For them to 'make offers all over the board' could easily come back to bite them.

Also, if the letters sent them indicate people were so dissatisifed with HAL they would never sail them again, why would they offer anything? They would have already lost that customer.

I agree that there is no lemonade on this matter. I was on the following cruise and experienced no problem with AC, but if I had, especially in a suite, I would still be in orbit. This would really make me crabby!

For all of you who suffered, I really sympathize and encourage you to fight for a decent recompense...not on a future cruise...but on the one just past. Your cruise was ruined and it was not an act of God like a hurricane, but mechanical matters that are HAL's responsibility.

Please keep us posted on HAL's responses. I think it would be helpful for those who choose to do it, to name the specific amount offered.

We also were on the Maasdam 11/9-11/20. We had an outside cabin on Main deck. The room was warm when we boarded and the temp continued to inch upward each day. By day 4 it was to the point of uncomfortable & very difficult sleeping. Dropped by the front desk about 1400 on day 4. At 1830 same day 2 staff from housekeeping showed up, removed one of the overhead tiles & fixed the problem. It was a stuck damper. It did take about 18 additional hours to bring the room down to our preferred temp. In our case, we were pleased with the response. We noticed some extreme temp variations around the ship. The last few days the area around the Explorer's Lounge seemed to be "freezing". The temps improved both fore and aft from there. Other than the air conditioning glitch, we felt the service by the staff was as good as any of our other HAL cruises. Our dinner and service in the P. Grill was outstanding. (Our waiter was Romanian). Meat loaf was not on the menu & there was no Dutch night. We didn't eat the "comfort food" selections, but our tablemates had several of the selections. They were very pleased with the comfort food. We did not appreciate the "rock" music that has made an appearance in many of the public areas - especially in the Crowsnest during the day. It has always been a nice retreat to watch the ocean & read a good book. We found that to be impossible this trip & had to really search to find a quiet corner. Other than that - another great cruise.

Those of us in the suites surrounding the Neptune Lounge that suffered through no a/c on this cruise are now beginning to get replies from HAL. Two of the suites have been offered paltry "shipboard credits" on future cruises. The amounts were different to each cabin and in my opinion a pittance. They force you to cruise again with them in order to get any sort of compensation. Did they ever think perhaps none of us would want to cruise on them again? We did not receive what we paid for----a premium suite with the basic level of comfort. When you have to lie in bed with wet washcloths and towels covereing you to try and stay cool, that is pretty pathetic. We personally have had no word yet from HAL.

Unless you lived through those sweltering 10 days, you have no idea how hot those cabins were. My sound soother with thermometer showed 86 degrees by day 8----no air moving whatsoever out of the vents. I know there will be comments about turning "lemons into lemonade" but there was not enough sugar in the world to fix this misery. Most disappointing is the lack of acknowledgement we got---none. For 10 solid days I asked and wrote to the Hotel Manager, Chief Engineer, and the Captain. Not one returned phone call or letter.

We have asked specifically for a partial refund, not a voucher or a shipboard credit. Time will tell.

I would be steamed, too! No one should have to cruise without A/C!!

Perhaps your credit card company can be of help? Mine definitely was when

earlier this year I had a dispute for a deposit on a hotel that turned out to be in a sketchy neighborhood and was full of questionable loiterers. Anyway, I wrote a lengthy missive to my credit card company and attached a lot of backup info such as the day and time of my observations, my bill from another hotel, etc. My credit card company talked to me a couple of times and 60 days later the entire charge from the sketchy hotel was removed from my account. I was glad that I had documented my calls to the hotel because I think my high degree of specificity made the difference.

Good luck to you!

I`m not sure how this would go with a credit card as complaints against a provider of services has to be made within 60 days of payment for said services (on AMEX anyway) Nothing beats a try though, and I would also probably contact my credit company...........jean :cool:

IMO...

The internet and these sort of Message Boards have made a different situation for Seattle to deal with. In the past, they could settle with each 'complainant' individually and the odds were strong that few if any knew what anyone else was offered.

In these days of communication, that is no longer the case. For them to 'make offers all over the board' could easily come back to bite them.

Also, if the letters sent them indicate people were so dissatisifed with HAL they would never sail them again, why would they offer anything? They would have already lost that customer.

Sail7seas-

Frankly all of us who were in those affected cabins should receive equal compensation. We all had the same conditions. I think it very unfair to determine the voucher for future cruises or a shipboard credit based on how stern the letter may or may not have been.

My personal letter did not threaten to "never sail HAL again." My letter stated the facts backed up by photos. Flat out...we all paid for something we did not receive.

As to your last comment about "why should HAL offer anything?"...........because it is the decent and right thing to do.

IMO...

Sail7Seas---

First, I believe all of us in the suites who suffered through this cruise should be equally compensated. Why should one group receive more than the other based on perhaps the sterness of the letter? We all had the same problems with the heat. I think it is great that we can share information. Fairness is all we are asking.

It is the same as ordering a car and it arrives without the engine. Let's say you had to pay for it in advance. The dealership tells you he is sorry for the inconvenience of having a car with no engine, but will make it up to you if you buy another (take another cruise)car from him....he will discount the second car. Would you think that is fair? Probably not.....this is the kind of deal the "suite" people got after paying a premium for these cabins.

Secondly, your last comment pertaining to..."Why should HAL offer anything?....They would have already lost that customer." BECAUSE.....It'sthe right and fair thing to do. It is so much less expensive to keep a loyal passenger (this was our 13th cruise on HAL), than to acquite a new passenger.

I realize this is "your" Maasdam, and I am sorry if this has offended you...all I can say is what we have said is the truth, and it did affect our trips in a really big, bad way.

Sail7seas-

Frankly all of us who were in those affected cabins should receive equal compensation. We all had the same conditions. I think it very unfair to determine the voucher for future cruises or a shipboard credit based on how stern the letter may or may not have been.

My personal letter did not threaten to "never sail HAL again." My letter stated the facts backed up by photos. Flat out...we all paid for something we did not receive.

As to your last comment about "why should HAL offer anything?"...........because it is the decent and right thing to do.

I think you misunderstand. I did not express myself clearly. I agree with you. Everyone who had a/c problems should be compensated comenserately equal.

That is what I meant when I said that making offers all over the place could come back to bite them. The offers should be comenserately equal IMO

Yes....you are correct. That is the right and decent thing to do but if you were in Customer Service and you received an angry letter stating among other things....I'll never cruise w/ HAL again. If we are honest, most of us would say to ourselves that we had obviously lost that customer so there was little likelihood they would cruise HAL in the future. I could be all wrong and they could say.....Maybe if we really respond well, we may 'win them back'. (While you did not write an angry letter saying you'd never sail again etc, I imagine some folks did write that.)

I have never questioned anyone's truthfulness about this. I know that Maasdam has had a/c problems. We had a/c problems in our Suite last Thanksgiving on Maasdam when we did b-to-b's. I am very sure I wrote about the plumber and DH and I becoming well acquainted on that cruise. He spent alot of time in our suite.

Has anyone had their travel agent file a complaint/request for reimbursement for them?? I don't know if an internet agency would do this, but my brick and mortar agent would.

Your TA is paid a commission to book your trip. They want you to be happy. A good travel agent should try and help correct such problems. They may have resources that you do not (especially high volume HAL agents).

I think you misunderstand. I did not express myself clearly. I agree with you. Everyone who had a/c problems should be compensated comenserately equal.

That is what I meant when I said that making offers all over the place could come back to bite them. The offers should be comenserately equal IMO

Yes....you are correct. That is the right and decent thing to do but if you were in Customer Service and you received an angry letter stating among other things....I'll never cruise w/ HAL again. If we are honest, most of us would say to ourselves that we had obviously lost that customer so there was little likelihood they would cruise HAL in the future. I could be all wrong and they could say.....Maybe if we really respond well, we may 'win them back'. (While you did not write an angry letter saying you'd never sail again etc, I imagine some folks did write that.)

S7S-

Thank you for saying that so well! When I suggested that it was HAL's responsiblity to stand up to the plate, I got ripped a new one and told how dramatic I was.:eek: (Some people just have to be right :rolleyes: )

A good company with a good product will stand up if that product fails to perform at their standards. A good company will correct the situation as well as compensate the client for it not being to their standards. And as far as I have seen to date, HAL is a good company. :cool:

Hey Mary! Hope you get some resolution on this soon. You deserve something for your uncomfortable cruise. Keep us updated on the progress.

As far as the "customer service" comments on tackling something with Honey versus Vinegar.. One can not assume they know the correct way to handle this. There are multiple factors which include what is said, how it's said and basically who the reader is who opens the letter. Not one person here can come up with the right combination to ensure they know the right answer. The risks have to be factored in. To know what a company may "think" or know what "may not work" can't really be accomplished by novices. Communication is complicated. This board is a perfect example. Best thing is.. do what you individual think is right and hope for the best results.

Just a side note here. On the last day we were all given a letter instructing us who to write to for info on our situation. If we all wrote to the same person its kind of troubling that they are all over the map as far as any compensation.

Hi Maureen, Marc and John....and thank you to the rest of you folks who understand how important air conditioning is to your comfort and rest. Another poster on another Maasdam thread seems to think air conditioning is not that important. If he lived through what we did, he would think it was mighty important.

I always used to wonder while on our 12 previous HAL cruises, why some people were complaining, while we were having such a wonderful time? After being in this horrible situation for 10 days on the Halloweenie cruise, I totally understand now that depending on where your cabin might be on the ship or if you have horrible stewards, or if you had sewage back up in your cabin, the whole mood of the trip can be changed dramatically. I can now say for 12 cruises we were blessed to have had everything working just right. Our luck ran out on this trip.

When you wait 11 months to go and be rejunvenated and then this happens where you truly cannot sleep, it is really disappointing.

I really don't know what else we could have done. Multiple trips to the front desk, messages left for the Hotel Manager, the Chief Engineer, and finally I thought my last resort was asking to speak to the Captain, and on the 9th day I even sent an e-mail from the ship to the customer service rep in Seattle. The main gal at the front desk on the ship said she had been on the ship for a year and there had been "no previous problems" with A/C. (In reading this message board, the problems on the Maasdam go back a long time.) It was not until the 8th night when I put my thermometer on the desk showing the temperature in our cabin, did they even admit that they had just heard from the Chief Engineer there was a problem. So for 8 days all of us in the Suites surrounding the Neptune were making reports and we literally could not speak to anyone in authority. Nothing worse than being made to feel like you are imagining it is 86 degrees in your cabin. It just could have been handled so much better than the way it was.:p

Please forgive this comment but We were on the Maasdam on 11/9-11/20 and had AC problems, plumbming problems, noise problems etc etc. I truly understand your points but those of us who were not in suites have a right to be angry too! I thought there was no longer class on ships.

Please forgive this comment but We were on the Maasdam on 11/9-11/20 and had AC problems, plumbming problems, noise problems etc etc. I truly understand your points but those of us who were not in suites have a right to be angry too! I thought there was no longer class on ships.

I have not yet had the opportunity to cruise in a suite, due to my budget.

I do not think anyone is implying that you do not have the right to be upset because you were in a different category cabin. YOU DO. I am sorry that I worded my post poorly by saying "especially in a suite".

Marie

This is unbelievable and totally unacceptable. Absolutely right ... no lemonade to be made here!!!:o

Jmvt, you have every right to be as upset as you are. I honestly think I would have had to demand to get off the ship and sent home by air if this happened to me. I can't believe the treatment you received onboard. It's inexcusable that when you complained at the Front Desk no one even bothered to come to your cabin to inspect.

But what's done is done and now you're in the position of having experienced a 10 day nightmare ... at least the part spent in your cabin and just the knowledge of that would ruin your entire cruise. So now it's up to HAL to "step up to the plate" , 'fess up to the existence of the problem and try to make it right.

When I was in the DJ entertainment business there were times when a DJ would totally spoil a party. We would not refund the cost of the party, but we would offer to DJ another party at no cost to the client.

So IMHO, there is only one cure and that is for them to offer another cruise on another ship in like accommodations within one year's time. This has been done for people who have suffered less and I don't think it would be overkill to offer you that now. I can see where they will not give you a total refund; that simply doesn't seem feasible. But I think it totally appropriate for them to say, "Let us make up for the anguish of this cruise by offering you another". This is done in business all the time and anything less is simply not enough.

I contacted our TA last week to ask about this problem as we are thinking about booking the Maasdam next year. She called HAL and was told "they know of no problems" on the Maasdam. We are going to be VERY interested in any posts regarding this ship in the near future. Evidently HAL does not understand the power of CC and how much members communicate.

I contacted our TA last week to ask about this problem as we are thinking about booking the Maasdam next year. She called HAL and was told "they know of no problems" on the Maasdam. We are going to be VERY interested in any posts regarding this ship in the near future. Evidently HAL does not understand the power of CC and how much members communicate.

They are going to tell you that Gsel. That is like a canned message. From what I've heard, the experience people had on our sailing had a big impact on the following cruise. If you read through reviews from the next sailing, it was mentioned that the captain talked about the A/C problems and apparently they have been fixed. Hope it's true. If you are not in one of the suites effected or those rooms on A Deck and other areas, you should be ok. I did not have A/C problems except 1 evening although my daughter kept turning down the A/C.. that's another story..

Archived